Preparing for Test Day
Before the Exam
To successfully complete CELBAN remotely, an examinee's testing environment needs to meet a set of technology and security requirements. Examinees are asked to allow time to prepare their testing environment as specified under Remote Test Requirements
on their scheduled test dates. The testing location must be indoors, well lit, free of background noise and disruptions. Ensure the chosen location is tidy and comfortable. No recording devices (such as cell phones, etc.) and note taking materials (such as pen and paper, etc.) may be present in the room. Workstations must be completely cleared off, and all items stored below must be moved. Personal identification must be in an accessible spot. Breaks are not permitted during the testing appointments, so make sure to eat, hydrate, and use the bathroom before accessing the appointment.
When completing the CELBAN CBT at a test site similar security measures will apply. All personal items must be locked in a locker. To learn more about the test centre experience and Prometric's COVID-19 protocols, please click here
It is the examinee's responsibility to ensure that their computer, headset and webcam are functioning properly before the CBT and the Speaking Test. Whether you are completing your test remotely or at a test centre, we advise you to check your systems thoroughly (e.g., headset, volume, etc.). Incident reports will not be investigated for technical issues that occured because of the examinee's equipment.
Ethical Exam Behaviour
Examinees should review Touchstone Institute’s Ethical Exam Behaviour
to remind themselves of how to behave ethically, and what type of behaviour is prohibited with reference to assessments administered by Touchstone Institute.
Touchstone Institute has a responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of its exams. In order to maintain public confidence in professional competence, the assessments that test their skills and knowledge need to be kept secure and reliable. Touchstone Institute Assessment programs include confidential examination content, protected by the Canadian and International Copyright Act. Any examinee who is found to be cheating or acting unethically may face disciplinary and/or legal consequences.
During the Exam
Examinees are responsible for arriving to their testing appointments at the times specified to do so in their confirmation emails to allow adequate time for the examiner or proctor to go through the check-in procedures.
- CELBAN Speaking Test: Examinees must join their virtual interview on time. Those who appear later than five (5) minutes will not be allowed to challenge the test.
- CELBAN CBT: Arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled appointment time, as specified to do so in the Prometric confirmation email, whether testing remotely or at a test site.
The procedures listed below will be the same across both parts of the test, including at Prometric test sites. Examinees must follow the below procedures:
- Present one piece of valid government-issued identification that includes their photo.
- Use a laptop or a desktop computer during the exam. The use of smartphones or tablets is prohibited.
- Show their workstation and a 360o environmental check of their surrounding area using a moveable web camera.
- Demonstrate that no recording devices are on their person by raising shirt sleeves above wrists, turning all pockets inside-out, and turning around.
- Stay in view of the camera while the exam is in progress. Breaks are not permitted during the exam (please see the note on the CELBAN break policy below).
The examiner or proctor will proceed with the test once all security requirements have been met.
Breaks are not permitted. If an unscheduled break is required to be taken due to emergency circumstances, examinees are to notify their examiner or proctor and can leave the camera view. Please note, the timer will not be stopped during this absence and the check-in procedures will need to be repeated when the examinee returns. This may cause the examinee to have insufficient time to complete the test.
The examiner or proctor reserves the right to terminate a test at any point if the following requirements cannot be met or have been compromised during a testing appointment:
- The examinee appears too late to allow adequate time to complete the check-in procedures and test tasks for their scheduled appointment.
- The personal identification provided does not meet the criteria agreed upon at the time of registration.
- Technical and environmental requirements are not met as agreed upon at the time of registration.
- A security breach has been identified (such as, but not limited to, copying information, other persons present in the testing room, or copyright infringement).
In all of these instances, examinees will not be entitled to a refund and their results will be withheld. In the instances where a security breach has been identified, examinees will not be allowed to retake CELBAN and Touchstone Institute reserves the right to report the misconduct to the NNAS and other regulatory licensing bodies across Canada.
Unforeseen Technical Errors
A test termination due to unforeseen technical issues will be addressed differently. The examiner or proctor will create a report of the instance and notify The CELBAN Centre. The issues will be dealt with on a case by case basis to determine next steps, and we will contact the examinee directly to review their options.
After the Exam
Time to relax! The CELBAN Centre will compile the results from the CELBAN Speaking Test and CELBAN CBT. After the completion of CELBAN, two reports will be generated and sent out within 20 business days:
Unofficial Score Report (for examinees)
This report will be sent to the examinee by email. The Unofficial Score Report includes test scores and a description of the examinee’s strengths and weaknesses for speaking and writing.
Official Test Results (for institutions)
These results will be electronically sent to the licensing body or institution an examinee requested on their registration form. This report contains an examinee’s test results only. It does not include a description of their strengths and weaknesses.
To learn more about CELBAN results and understanding test scores, please click here.