Practice Speaking Test
The Official CELBAN Speaking Test is a virtual interview that includes conversations, discussions and role-plays with an examiner. Details on the official Speaking Test can be found here.
To help examinees prepare for the virtual interview, we have created several online practice interviews on the InterviewPrep platform. This preparation tool is intended to introduce the different types of speaking tasks that examinees will encounter on the Official CELBAN Speaking Test. In each practice interview, there will be one role play and two discussion questions.
This is a free platform, and there is no limit to the number of times it can be accessed for practice. Each practice interview takes about 10 minutes to complete.
The Practice CELBAN Speaking Tests were created so that prospective CELBAN examinees can practice following instructions similar to those used in the Official CELBAN Speaking Test and record their responses. Examinees will be able to review their recordings and evaluate their responses using the InterviewPrep self-assessment tool.
InterviewPrep is a self-directed interview preparation tool. To access the tool, follow the link below, register with a personal email, sign into the platform and practice! Detailed instructions can be found below.
The Practice CELBAN Speaking Tests on InterviewPrep
In the Official Speaking Test, examinees interact with a live examiner. In the Practice CELBAN Speaking Test, a virtual examiner will ask questions and provide role play prompts.
Here is a summary of what to expect during the Practice CELBAN Speaking Test:
- Prospective examinees will be welcomed by a virtual proctor who will give instructions;
- A virtual examiner will pose questions or give role play instructions;
- The examinee’s answers will be recorded, which they will be able to review and re-record answers if necessary;
- There is a timer for each response. Try to fill the time by answering the question;
- Click continue and proceed to the next question once satisfied with the answer;
- Answers can be submitted before the time is up by clicking on any key.
How this Practice Tool can Help you
Below are some suggestions that will help examinees to prepare for the Official CELBAN Speaking Test:
- Listen carefully to the instructions. In the official test, examinees are permitted to ask clarification questions if needed.
- Pay careful attention to what is being asked. There may be more than one (1) instruction or question asked at a time.
- Take a few seconds to prepare. In the practice interview use the 10 second countdown before the video recording begins to plan a response. In the Official CELBAN Speaking Test, it is encouraged to take a few seconds to plan a response.
- This practice test will provide 30 seconds to respond to some questions and up to 60 seconds for others. The written instructions under the video box will indicate the amount of time for each question. Try to give responses that fill the amount of time provided as this will give examinees an idea of how much content is expected from them during the official exam.
- Make good use of the response time to expand on ideas, as would be expected in the Official CELBAN. Good responses include main ideas, supporting details, and examples.
- Speak clearly and use a professional tone and supportive non-verbal language. Show engagement by active listening, acknowledging what the patient says, while using appropriate hand gestures and facial expressions.
At the end of the Practice CELBAN Speaking Test, examinees will have an option to click on “View Interview” to watch their videos. After watching the videos, examinees will complete the Self-Evaluation activity. Under their name at the top of the page, examinees should click on “Would you hire you? Complete your Assessment” and give themselves a rating. The platform will allow examinees to log back in anytime to review any of their completed practice interviews.
We regret that at this time, the option for “Counsellor Review” is not available.
How to log into InterviewPrep
- Go to https://tsin.interviewstream.com
- Register with your personal email or use your existing account credentials
- Once registered/signed into the platform, click on “Conduct an Interview” > “Created For Me” > “CELBAN Practice Test (1, 2 or 3)”.
How to review your Practice CELBAN Speaking Interview
Looking for more ideas on how to practice for the CELBAN Speaking Test? Consider purchasing the CELBAN Speaking Practice Handbook. Click here for more details