Practice Speaking Test
The Official CELBAN Speaking Test is a virtual interview that includes conversations, discussions and role-plays with an examiner. Details on the official Speaking Test can be found here.
To help examinees prepare for the virtual interview, The CELBAN Centre offers several online practice interviews. These practice interviews are intended to introduce the different types of speaking tasks that examinees will encounter in the Official CELBAN Speaking Test. In each practice interview, there will be one role play and two discussion questions.
These practice interviews are free, and there is no limit to the number of times they can be accessed for practice. Each practice interview takes about 10 minutes to complete.
About the Practice CELBAN Speaking Tests
The Practice CELBAN Speaking Tests are a self-directed interview preparation tool and can be used to practice alone or with a study partner. The practice interviews were developed so that prospective CELBAN examinees can practice following instructions similar to those used in the Official Speaking Test.
How to Practice
Examinees are encouraged to record their responses on Zoom, the platform used to conduct the Official Speaking Test. Examinees can register for a free Zoom account here
. To learn more about enabling recording on a Zoom account, click here
. By recording your responses, you will be able to evaluate yourself using a self-assessment checklist.
The Practice CELBAN Speaking Tests
In the Official Speaking Test, examinees interact with a live examiner. In the Practice CELBAN Speaking Test, a series of videos include virtual examiners who will ask questions and provide role play prompts.
Here is a summary of what you can expect during the Practice CELBAN Speaking Test:
- Each practice test consists of a series of video clips, where a virtual examiner will pose questions or give role play instructions.
- You will answer the questions and follow the instructions for each video clip. We recommend recording your responses. Click here to learn more about how to record your responses with Zoom.
- There is a suggested length of time for each response. Try to answer the question within the allotted time.
- After you have responded to the series of questions, review your video recording, and evaluate your responses using the self-assessment checklist.
How this Practice Tool can Help you
Below are some suggestions that will help you prepare for the Official CELBAN Speaking Test:
- Listen carefully to the instructions. In the official test, you are permitted to ask clarification questions if needed.
- Pay careful attention to what is being asked. There may be more than one instruction or question asked at a time.
- Take a few seconds to prepare your response. In the Official CELBAN Speaking Test, it is encouraged to take a few seconds to plan a response.
- Speak clearly and use a professional tone and supportive non-verbal language. Show engagement in the role plays by listening actively, acknowledging what the patient says, and using appropriate hand gestures and facial expressions
At the end of the Practice CELBAN Speaking Test, you can watch your recorded videos. After watching the videos, complete the Self-Evaluation Checklist activity and give yourself a rating.
Looking for more ideas on how to practice for the CELBAN Speaking Test? Consider purchasing the CELBAN Speaking Practice Handbook. Click here for more details
Practice CELBAN Speaking Tests
Practice CELBAN Speaking Test 1
Practice CELBAN Speaking Test 2
Practice CELBAN Speaking Test 3