CELBAN Practice Handbooks
Using the CELBAN Practice Handbooks can help prepare examinees for the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN). The CELBAN Practice Handbooks provide an opportunity to engage with relevant nursing material while practising skills that need to be demonstrated on the CELBAN and in nursing practice.
The CELBAN Practice Handbooks are in PDF format. Links to download the materials will be included in the electronic receipt that is sent to the purchaser’s email address. The links must be accessed within 48 hours of purchasing the materials, as the links are deactivated after that and access to download the materials will be denied.
Who are these Practice Handbooks for?
The Practice Handbooks are for internationally educated nurses (IENs) who are preparing for the CELBAN independently or with a peer group outside of formal and structured learning. They were not designed for use in CELBAN Preparation Programs.
Benefits of Using the CELBAN Practice Handbooks
Using the Practice Handbooks will help prospective examinees:
- increase familiarity with the structure and format of the CELBAN Test
- practice their English communication skills by completing the tasks and checking answers
- learn tips and strategies to support their language learning
- identify strengths in their language and communication skills
- identify language and communication skills that need additional practice
- evaluate their progress by using self-assessment checklists
What can be found in the Practice Handbooks?
The Practice Handbooks include the following language tasks:
- Reading: 3 reading passages with multiple choice questions; 1 fill in the blanks exercise
- Listening: 6 dialogues (downloadable .mp3 files) with multiple choice questions
- Writing: 4 tasks to write a narrative report about an incident; 4 tasks to write a letter to the editor; 1 task for general writing skills
- Speaking: 4 conversations/discussions with a partner; 3 role plays based on nursing situations
There are many English language training programs in Canada that are referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), as the CELBAN is. If IENs need to improve their communication skills, they may access some of these courses. For more information about the CLB, refer to the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks website: www.language.ca
How to Purchase the Practice Handbooks
CELBAN Practice Handbooks are available for purchase at $35 each or $100 for the complete set of four. To purchase the handbooks
- Add the desired item(s) to the cart and proceed to check out.
- Create a login (upon creating the login, purchasers will be sent an email that includes their username and password; please keep these login credentials as they will be required to make additional purchases).
- Click ‘Next’ upon entering account details, and review the order before completing payment.
- PayPal will prompt purchasers to log into an existing account, however, there is the option to continue as a guest by clicking ‘Pay with a credit or Visa Debit card’.
- An electronic receipt will be sent to the email address provided, containing links to all the materials associated with your purchase.
- To download the materials, click each of the links included and save the PDFs onto the device being used to open them (i.e. computer, smartphone, etc.). Ensure to click each of the links within 48 hours of the purchase, as the links are deactivated after that and access to download the materials will no longer be granted.