CELBAN Practice Handbooks
Using the CELBAN Practice Handbooks can help you prepare for the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN). The CELBAN Practice Handbooks provide an opportunity to engage with relevant nursing material while practising skills that you need to demonstrate on the CELBAN and communicate in nursing in general.
The CELBAN Practice Handbooks are available for purchase here.
Who are these Practice Handbooks for?
The Practice Handbooks are for internationally educated nurses (IENs) who are preparing for the CELBAN independently or with a peer group outside of formal and structured learning. They were not designed for use in CELBAN Preparation Programs.
Benefits of Using the CELBAN Practice Handbooks
Using the Practice Handbook will help you:
- increase your familiarity with the structure and format of the CELBAN Test
- practice your English communication skills by completing the tasks and checking your answers
- learn tips and strategies to support your language learning
- identify strengths in your language and communication skills
- identify language and communication skills that need additional practice
- evaluate your progress by using self-assessment checklists
What you will find in the Practice Handbooks
The Practice Handbooks include the following language tasks:
- Reading: 3 reading passages with multiple choice questions; 1 fill in the blanks exercise
- Listening: 6 dialogues (downloadable .mp3 files) with multiple choice questions
- Writing: 4 tasks to write a narrative report about an incident; 4 tasks to write a letter to the editor; 1 task for general writing skills
- Speaking: 4 conversations/discussions with a partner; 3 role plays where you act like you are in a nursing situation
There are many English Language Training programs in Canada that are referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), as the CELBAN is. If you need to improve your communication skills, you may access some of these courses. For more information about the CLB, refer to the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks website: www.language.ca
How to Purchase the Practice Handbooks
CELBAN Practice Handbooks are available for purchase at $25 each or $75 for the complete set of four. To purchase the handbooks
, add the desired item(s) into your cart and proceed to check out. At check out, you will need to create a login (upon creating the login, you will be sent an e-mail that includes your username and password; please keep these login credentials, as you will be required to re-enter it again if/when future purchases of any of the CELBAN Practice Handbooks are needed). Click ‘Next’ upon completion of entering your account details and you will be able to review your order prior to completing your payment.
You will be prompted to log into an existing PayPal account if you have one, otherwise, you have the option to continue as a guest by clicking ‘Pay with a credit or Visa Debit card’. You will be sent a receipt to the e-mail address you provided. The receipt will contain links to all the materials associated with your purchase. You will be able to download the materials onto your computer once you have clicked each of the links provided. Ensure you click each of the links within 48 hours of your purchase, as the links are deactivated after that timeframe and you will no longer have access to download the materials.
Please review the FAQ section
of our website to answer any additional questions you may still have regarding the CELBAN Practice Handbooks.